Monday 29 September 2014

My own film sequence

The intention for my film sequence was to scare the audience as I decided to chose the horror genre. I wanted them to be freaked out, so I chose scary shots and used creepy non-diegetic sound effects. As I only had 8 shots,  I started the scene with a medium of the victim, showing her and foreshadowing that something is going to happen to her. I used an extreme close up of her feet walking, because I wanted to show that she is walking, getting closer to the killer. I then used a long shot to show the killer, to show the distance between the characters and to show he is the only person there, showing danger. I decided to use 2 close ups using a matching on action editing. This was to show how scared the victim is, and to show how scary and dangerous the main villain is. I used a high angle close up of the victim, showing danger and she looks weak and vulnerable. I used a low angle close up of the killer to make him look dominant and in control, and that he is dangerous. I used a long tracking shot of them both running, to show the action and so the audience gets to see them from far away. It's like the audience is there watching the action, but can't do anything. I also used an over the shoulder, 2 point medium shot to show the victim punch her in the face. This is because I wanted us to feel like we are there watching him do this horrible thing. It also shows the punch quite close, so we can also see her fall and how it effects her. I ended the scene with a close up of the killer, to show how scary he is, and what he might do next and to others. I used scary sound effects in post production, to make the scene even more scary and to create tension and a spooky atmosphere. Unfortunately, in a few of the shots, you can hear voices. We didn't have enough time to edit them out. If I was to do this again, I would edit the voices out to make it better.


My target audience was people around my age of higher (15+). This is because the scene does contain violence and the killer uses creepy faces to scare the audience. Therefore, I wouldn't let younger people see the film as it might affect them badly. However, 15 years or older would enjoy this and be freaked out. This is because young people like being scared, so young people would watch this scene.


I do use some conventions/ clichés of horror. Firstly, I used a killer. I also had a young blonde as the victim of my scene, like many horrors do. I also used the killer killing people in the first scene (like Scream etc.). In addition to this, I used creepy sound effects (non-diegetic music) in post production to scare the audience even more. I also used close up of the victim and killer to show how scary the killer is.

No comments:

Post a Comment